Friday, April 13, 2007

(step 3) other thoughts

The problem is fixed. The ipod now has the videos where they are supposed to be in the video submenue of the ipod, the videos are displaying.
What created the problem in the first place I still dont know. The senerio that was given to me that it was plugged into another itunes (I will assume older than7) and from that point on this problem existed. I have my doubt that this would be the problem especialy that the ipod had 'manage music manually' selected on it.
Interesting observations:
1- when itunes tells you that the ipod is synced with another itunes library and when we actually ask it to erase and sync it with the new library (this was in step 2 #20) this only erases and syncs the 'ipod control' folder.. it does not effect any of the other folders such as photos, or any folder that has been placed manually on the ipod. I know many of you dont think this is important, but I have been working with ipods for a while and the biggest problem I run into is making sure I have enough space on my hard drive to backup an ipod and all the folders in it. Now i know is all I have to backup is one folder which is the ipod control, and hence gaining much space and time that would be waisted otherwise.
2- after we do all of this all the music and videos are saved in the folder c:/igadget not in the MY Music/itunes/itunes music folder. I did this becasue as explained above, but if you prefer having it in the default folder of itunes music (MY Music/itunes/itunes) then all you have to do is open itunes then advance-->consolidate library and itunes will start copying all the files to the default location.
3- you can enable 'manually manage music' for an ipod even from an itunes that does not have your library in it (i.e. a friend's itunes). but be aware that you cannot disable it without having to resync with an itunes library (a waring will show up.. the famous one :D)
4- step 2 of this process is one I use alot and it is very helpful in many situations like backing up your itunes library, and like updating your itunes library after you have uploaded songs from another computer of yours to your ipod.
5- From all i know and I am not sure about the exact information for the compititor to the ipod the creative, it seems that both work the same way as long as you have 'manually manage music' chacked on your ipod prefrences (can only be done as far as i know from an itunes). the only difference might be that with ipod you have to use an itunes whereas with creative I think you still have to use some kind of a program.
6- there are alternatives and addons to itunes that would make things maybe easier, I think I will talk about that in another post
7- I used igadget in step 2 of the process because it is the least problematic application I have found that does this job. there are others like ipodrip which is supposed to be very good, yet I had problems making it run such as other many people who seem to have encountered this problem. but if you can make it run it is pretty good, but it costs the same as igadget and i never had a problem with igadget. there is also Senuti but that is only for Mac and it is free.
8- in step 2 i did not talk about moving your ratings but you can do that using igadget also, just look at the buttons you can use on it and you will find that option.

No comments: