Thursday, April 12, 2007

(step2) USING iGadget to transfer music from ipod to itunes

this is an interesting problem, now I have an ipod that is just like the problem ed ipod yet if I connect this ipod to my PC, itunes will display the message if I want to delete this ipod and sync it with my itunes library, and that will just erase everything on the ipod and sync with whatever is in iTunes, or make it empty if iTunes is empty.



So what I have to do now is find away to get all the music and videos on the ipod to my iTunes.
In my years of trying programs to do this my absolute favorite is igadged it is not free but it is worth the $10 that you pay. so here is the procedure to make my itunes library be the same as the ipod.
1- Backing up the old itunes library: If I dont want to loose my own itunes library that I use with my ipod, I need to backup this library before I start to do this:
a- close iTunes
b- go to My Music folder and find a folder called 'iTunes' move the whole folder to some other location let us say my desktop.
c- restart iTunes and it will automatically create a new iTunes folder in My Music and will show an empty library for itunes
2- Install igadget: you can download igadget from purple ghost software http://www.purpleghost.com/index.php?q=get_igadget
once you download it an install it then we can get it working :D
3- Run igadget, it will show a little black window that shows you it is loading and then you will have a popup like the one below:

check the box (just like i did in the picture) to disable itunes ability to detect ipods and then press ok
4- you will see in the black box that igadget is trying to stop that ability at the same time itunes will open if it were not open yet.


5- Even though rare sometimes igadget is unable to turn itunes ability to detect ipods off, if this happen a window will popup but it might be hidden in the back. this is not really important unless your ipod is already synced with this itunes which in this example it is not. so if i gadget does not turn itunes ability off itunes will give you the famous warning of ipod being synced with another library.
6- igadget will popup another window like below just press on the close button.

7- igadget program should open now.

8- plug your ipod to the pc
9- if itunes pops up a window saying ipod is synced with another library and if you want to erase and sync it with this one just press 'cancel'













10- igadget should show the ipod

11- if it does not then you have to go to file-->check for ipods and it should load plugins and find it.
12- Now here is what you have to do first click on Transfer Songs from ipod , it should show you all the songs you have on the ipod.
13- press on select all, a check mark will be next to each and every song and video on your ipod
14- click the transfer songs button on the top left corner (right underneath file)
15- a popup will come like the one below

transfer folder: C:\igadget
Check transfer songs into itunes
press transfer and watch igadget put all the songs into itunes
the reason i use c:\igadget is for a very important reason. if this ipod to be synced on another computer the only drive i always know is going to be the same is 'C', I cannot put it in my documents because this would include the user name of this computer, and 'D' might not be in existence on the other computer as well
16- after igadget is done with that click on playlist tranfer and select all and then click on the transfer songs button just like 14 and igadget will start transferring your playlists to itunes
17- eject your ipod by clicking the ejyct button on igadget
18- unplug your ipod
look at the itunes now it should have all the stuff that your ipod has all the playlists all the music and all the videos.

19- close itunes, close igadget
20- plug your ipod to the pc again. When itunes asks you if you want to erase and sync with this library click on 'erase and sync' button and watch i tunes update your ipod.













21- when itunes is done unplug your ipod and check that everything is working.

No comments: