Thursday, April 12, 2007

(step1) BACKING UP the ipod

mirrorring a problem ipod to myipod

A very interesting discovery, I have looked to check if this would work but it seems no one really cares enough to check it, well I tried and I must say it works
Procedure:
very very simple, all you have to do is
1- attach the problem ipod to the computer.
2- when itunes (or if) opens and says 'ipod can only be synced to one library...' you press cancel
3- you open MY COMPUTER and look for the mounted ipod
4- Make sure you can see all hidden files and folders (tools-->folder options X-->View tab-->check 'view hidden files and folders'











5- copy all the folders to a newly created folder call it 'problem ipod' on your PC (make sure your pc has enough space)

6- eject ipod by right clicking on the mounted ipod in MY COMPUTER and choosing eject.
7- attach my ipod, open the mounted ipod and delete all files and folders in it.
8- copy the files and folders from 'problem ipod' folder to the mounted ipod.
9- eject
10- I checked my ipod and I have the exact things that are on the problem ipod including playlist etc.
I am done creating a mirror of the problem ipod to my ipod and now it is time to continue fixing my problem.

1 comment:

Layth said...

I just want to add a little thing here... since I wrote that article I tried to use this method on a MAC, and there you have a very big problem. MAC will not show Hidden files easily.. and if you get to show them which you can.. you still are not able to import a folder that is marked as hidden to itunes... so unless someone makes a comment of a way to do this I think this procedure only works for Windows.